The name "STAFFORD" originates from 2 saxon words "straith (landing place) and "ford (crossing place). St. Bertelin, a Saxon saint set up a hermitage here at the beginning of the 8th. century. In 913 Stafford was fortified by Ethelfleda, Lady of Mercia and daughter of King Alfred The Great; and the town became the new capital of Mercia. In 1206 King John granted a Royal Charter which created the Borough of Stafford.
(L) The octagonal assembly hall of King Edward VI Grammar School. (R) Ruins of Stafford castle. The original wooden fortification was built by the Normans in 1070 and later reconstructed in stone. It has since been rebuilt twice but now only the 19th. century ruins remain.
(L) The old mill, close to the site of former Tenterbanks school. (R) The Ancient High House dates from Elizabethan times and is the largest timber-framed town house in England.
(L-R) Saint Chad's Church of late Norman architecture dating from the 12th. century and the oldest building still standing in Stafford. The "Picture House". The old Post Office building.
BARLEY MOW, MILFORD
TENTERBANKS SCHOOL AND FLOODS
Barley Mow pub opposite Milford Common (1936). Tenterbanks County Primary School, during floods of 1946.